Aya picked us up and we walked through the old city to find Abu Ayed's bakery. Aya did not know where it was so we were just wondering around asking people. During this time something very sad and interesting happened. Aya tried to ask a Jewish man where to go and I was standing right next to her. He simply turned his head up in the air and would not even recognize her existence. She asked one more time and he just laughed and continued to ignore her. Aya turned to me and just said, "See I told you they won't help us." I hope to never be that way to anyone in my lifetime...
Well we were quite lost in the Jewish Quarter of the old city, and I saw a random bakery and just said to Aya and Bro. Walz, "I'll go ask them where Abu's bakery is." To my surprise and delight the bakery I went into WAS Abu's. Haha. So random luck we were able to find him. The bakery was very successful, even though he is muslim he runs a kosher bakery. Tour groups would stop and get his bagels, breads, cookies, and other named goods I have no idea how to write out. The tour guides would say to the group, "This is one of the best bakeries in the city!"
(Inside the bakery...where the magic happens the bakery has been open for I believe 170 years!)
(The man himself...Abu talks baking)
(Abu Pockets!)
We interviewed Abu in his place, then took off to meet the man in charge of the organization to help poor and less fortunate Palestinians. He and his colleagues wrote a letter that they are trying to give to the Pope this sunday. I guess this is the second visit by a pope ever to the city and he happens to be coming sunday, so the place is going to be crazy! Their goal for the letter is to bring awareness and hopefully humanitarian aid from the Catholic church.Aya took off to a big dance party, so Bro. Walz and I went to check out the Western Wall. The had a ceremony going on for new soldiers entering the army so their were guys with guns everywhere! The wall was a very unique experience you have to wear a yamaca when your at the wall. I was trying to film it and the wind was blowing. My yamaca kept flying off and I ended up getting held down with my sunglasses. But no joke at least four times I had to stop filming and run after that little hat. I don't think I could handle wearing one of those all the time.
(Western Wall and dome of the rock...So close yet so very far apart)
Bro. Walz and I walked a bit more through the old city, and we got blessed by some Hassidic Jews asking for money. Bro. Walz leaned in and said, "That's one way to use the priesthood..." We got a huge dinner of pita bread all the different salads and hummus that you can imagine, with a side of delicious lamb ribs of course.
(Bro. Walz being blessed...it's for charity)
- Enjoy the Journey
Jonny Boy




No comments:
Post a Comment