Sunday, May 18, 2014

Some cheesy title that incites the idea of starting a journey

I plan on blogging ferociously from now on. I decided it would be a great way to put my thoughts, moments, events, and people that come across my path.

It is no There and Back Again a Hobbit's Tale but it is a story about my journey through life and where ever that may take me, so please enjoy.

Jerusalem - Friday Robert Walz and I (professor at BYU) sat at the airport for about 10 hours watching our plane get delayed til we missed our connection. So we re scheduled for the next day. On our way home we went to get our luggage back and somehow from the gate check in to the check out they had lost my luggage. This is ironic because I packed it in a bright blue duffel bag with a orange tassel just so it was easy to spot. Well about an hour extra wait they found it. This is a sign of the times for my travel to Jerusalem.

Saturday we got delayed going out of SLC again. The flight their Bro. Walz got stuck next to two men who both weighed well over 300 pounds, where as I sat next to two women who were probably 80 pounds. So I switched him and needless to say I had half a seat and the seat divider would not even come down.
(My attempt to document my squishiness)


We made it to LA and with no directions or someone to talk to too, Bro. Walz and I wandered like vagabonds in the desert. Luckily an indian women working the currency exchange desk told us we needed to go to a completely different building for our connection flight. We ran, and got to the desk. When we told the hostess what flight we were on her eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. She frantically got everything done as quick as possible and then scurried us through the security and check in lines. She had this great French accent and would yell at us, "Hurry Hurry we must Hurry!" She ran probably a mile in high heels making sure we got on our flight. Well our flight to Amsterdam was crowded we were the last row of the plane and it was snug.


In Amsterdam we got interrogated by the El Al flight team about why we were going to Jerusalem. They could not understand how a professor would just be traveling with a student, the guy said to me, "I am a university student, and I would NEVER travel with my professors." It just made me laugh but we got through.
(Elbow to Elbow, shoulder to shoulder to Amsterdam)

We landed in Jerusalem and the haunting of my bright blue bag came back to haunt us. It was lost. So another hour wait to get info they gave me a toiletry bag and I went on my way. Who knows if I'll ever get my clothes back, their probably partying in Amsterdam right now.

(My Israeli issued garb, one size fits all!)

Aya and her father picked us up and he is the nicest man in the world. So calm, gentle, and sweet. They just wanted to make us happy and the whole drive he told us about the weirdness of his life being a Palestinian who lives in Jerusalem. One quick example, in order for him to travel he has to have a Israeli passport (because he lives their), a Palestinian passport (he is palestinian), and a Jordanian passport (only way he can travel outside the country). They have to get special travel visas anytime they leave and usually those come a couple of days before the flight (after he has already booked hotels and flights, so their is a chance he could not get a visa and still have to pay).

The country side is very southern utah desert without the red rocks. Random pine trees and sage brush stuff.

Our hotel is nice and very quaint! The beds were made for hobbits, so I feel for Bro. Walz because he is super tall.
(Bro. Walz trying to watch Terminator on his hobbit bed)

We ate a an amazing Palestinian restaurant. Getting their was quite hilarious. If you know Aya then you know she hates to drive! So within thirty seconds of leaving the hotel, Aya had turned down the wrong way on a one way street. Haha her brother Zaid was laughing to death and just mocking her. Some things never change even across borders...

 The Khatibs treated us to their favorite place. It once was a very old house they have now converted into a restaurant. High ceilings, stone walls, and a glass roof. The food was incredible a seafood salad I can't remember the Arabic name for it, and then I got a spicy steak that was so tender, amazing! I was one happy camper!

It's morning now and a huge difference in cultural norms is becoming apparant. I have been raised in a Early to bed, Early to rise mormon lifestyle. Here it is not the case. Bro. Walz and I got up exercised, showered, ate breakfast and were ready to hit the streets. We called Aya to see where she was and not much to my surprise she is still sleeping. Haha a very different world from my get up and work mentality but what can you do?

- Enjoy the Journey

Jonny Boy

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing experience Jon. Lots of memories for sure! Sorry about the suitcase. Way to stay positive :)

    ReplyDelete