Sunday, June 29, 2014

A New York Minute is a Utah Week!

Time is flying here in the Big Apple. I can't believe another week has gone by! Here is a little rundown of snippets of my week:

Well things only in New York that I saw this week: 1- A hobo peeing in the streets, 2- A woman peeing into a grate, 3- A Harlem gang fight in my alley, some poor kid got messed up real bad!, 4- A passionate make out from two Homosexuals (super passionate), 5- A mom breastfeeding with no covering just chillin and fillin'
(The pink panther doing his thang on the subway!)
Monday I had work off so I slept in, worked out and met a fun bodybuilder named Abu from Nigeria. Haha he was giving me the tips for the best pushups...He was like "do them wide...do them middle...and do them close...and oh when they close (touching his chest) you feel it and oooooh!"(In a great Nigerian accent). Then I went to Roosevelt Island on a sweet tram that is free if you have a metro pass. It was a sweet angle of the city and bridge, but I made the grave mistake of getting on the free shuttle bus that circles the island. I was thinking it would be really cool to see the whole thing. But instead the island has tons of senior citizens and so the bus literally stopped every 30 yards or so to drop old people off. It took forever and everything on the island just seemed in slow motion compared to Manhattan. The island is home to old people and a future campus for Cornell University so super swanky.

 (Sadly no snow with this tram...just asians and old people)

I raced back downtown to meet Laura two of her friends, and Barrett. We got to tour the 9/11 museum and it was good tribute to the events that took place. The museum offers a super optimistic view about the events and how America and the City grew from it. I liked this museum a lot more than say the holocaust museum for that aspect, I didn't leave feeling depressed or sick to my stomach rather, something bad happened we bonded together and became stronger. One unique fact about the original towers they actually had their own zip code, and it took over 15 mail trucks to deliver the mail just to the two buildings.

(Original beam still standing it was graffitied by different firefighters)
(Original foundation of the world trade center...Relief Society better get there act together the biggest quilt I have ever seen with pictures of all servicemen who died)
(Firetruck from the wreckage)
Work was crazy! This whole week we had to finish a hour long documentary to air on Friday! So tons of time in the edit rooms getting photo age and everything organized, it is such a complex process of about 10 people in my Unit working together to get a finished product. Overall we got the documentary done on friday and it aired. I think it turned out really well and you can view it on FOX this weekend and next and I'll post a link to it once its on the world wide web. I got to choose a lot of photo age and make some editorial decisions which was cool to be apart of the final product.

Tuesday after work I went to Broadway Bites. It's like a food carnival on Broadway near the Flat Iron Building. I went with Laura and two of her friends. There were so many choices, it was almost a painful experience for me trying to decide on what to get. Luckily I manned up and settled with Korean Nachos, and some crazy Turkish spinach and cheese bread. The nachos were SO bomb! I love kimchi, I love bulgogi, I love hot sauce, and I love nachos; so all together it was incredible! The turkish bread was eh...but good too.
(Awesome Broadway Bites food fair...got a little something for everyone!)
(Nachooooo! Heaven from two cultures, Mexico and Korea! Can you say "Ohn Yahn!"

(Mikey holding our weird Turkish spinach bread)

Wednesday I went to the world famous Apollo theatre for Ameteur Night with Madi, Barrett, and Sydnee. This is the night where random people perform and if their good you cheer and if they suck you boo! Great energy to start the show two of my favorite things stuck in my head, "It's Party Time," and "This is ammeter night...this..is..ameteur night!" But overall the acts were kind of lame, but not so lame you could boo, so it was a little of a disappointment. But some hilarious old black ladies were up top with us and at one point the announcer said to someone in the crowd, "You make incredible potato salad..." and the black ladies yelled out, "How would you know!?!" and then they just cackled. It was hilarious.
(The famous Apollo Theatre, the only good act was a 10 year old asian kid who played rock n roll on a ukalae)
Friday I went to the best rivalry in sports. Yankees Red Sox. Thanks to Cameron and his mom we got awesome seats next to 3rd base. The game was fantastic and Yanks smoked the Sox 5-0 with three homers! "I thank God the day I became a Yankee," - Joe DiMaggio.
(Red Sox and Yankees from this angle...I think so!)

(The game crew...Andrew, Cameron, Laura, Me, Barrett, and Katie)
Saturday - New York has beaches who knew? We took a subway an hour and a half out to the Rockaway's for a giant YSA activity. The water was warm but tasted like a salty oil container that had been left in a rusty can. It was disgusting and very grimy but it was the beach! Waves were non existent as well just choppy stuff but it was cool to get out of the city. Barrett and I both got hilarious sun burns from just spraying on sun tan lotion and not rubbing it in. So we have little dotted burns in random parts of our body.

(Beach Selfie with Laura...Get this Look at the Lifeguard's they seriously look like inmates in a prison! They have jumpsuits and everything...only on a New York Beach right?)
(Indian feast for me!)
Sunday I went to the Brooklyn Flea Market with Barrett, and my roomie Steve. We went to the one that happened to be closed on Sunday haha, so we walked around Brooklyn instead. Such a beautiful area it's very quiet, tons of hipsters, and just has a cool feel to it. If I was to stay here long time I think I would go for Brooklyn. It captured my heart today walking around (and I hear it's cheaper too). After that we went to Grimaldi's pizza's competition - Juilana's. It is the original owner of Grimaldi's but now he runs this place. Solid pizza but Grimaldi's wins for several reasons, better flavor, thicker crust, and much much cheaper! So win to Grimaldi!
(Get ya own Pie!)

(Funny picture this is the juliana delivery bike and the line of people behind it is the line to go to Grimaldi's. Let the pizza battle royal begin!)

- Enjoy the Journey
Jonny Boy




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have immersed yourself in New York! Very cool! Enjoy! Excited to see your documentary.

    ReplyDelete