Tuesday I started my internship with FOX. It felt like a efy/summer camp/first day of school (except everyone in nice clothes haha). There were about 80 interns or more and most of us were super early so we just talked introduced ourselves said our name to everyone knowing they wouldn't remember it haha. It ended up being a day of orientation. Harris Faulkner who is the host of "Outnumbered" spoke to us just about how we can make an impact. I just remember her remembering people's names like it was no sweat which was cool. We got a tour of the buildings and the sets, Sheppard's studio is the most expensive in the world and it's crazy he really has a real time control of his show, he decides what he wants on screen via the giant monitors that his producers sit at behind him. The whole time they were scaring us with comments like, "You came here to work, not vacation...you will have crazy hours deal with it...this industry is fast paced you got to keep up...yada yada yada" Well when we broke up into our departments my documentary unit couldn't be farther from that! I have two bosses and they are so cool and chill. Peter Boyle is our lead reporter and Martin Hinton is our manager. Super awesome guys who want me and the one other intern that works with me to just experience it all and truly find out if this is something we enjoy. I'm on the 18th floor with a super ghetto computer, but a great crew. There is about six of us who are either researching, writing, or getting video. It's been fun so far I have made timelines for the Iraq war, Al-Qaeda, ISIS, found marijuana sellers in Colorado, logged video about New Orleans. I will say I get burned out after 8 hours of starring at a computer, it's cool I learn a lot of great info and how to hunt on the internet...but it's just a little long. The other intern with me her name is Jane Brady, and she is a gem. She is very tall and beautiful and very elegant. She is from Kentucky and has aspirations to go into politics. She has been nothing but peaches to me (a little southern shout out for her)!
Some sites for this week. After work I try and just explore the city for a few hours before I head home, and it's been awesome. I love just roaming around seeing stuff and taking it all in. This week I saw Sax 5th avenue, Rockefeller center, St. Patricks cathedral (the big one)
(Lego remake of Rockfeller center)
, Bryant park (Awesome park they have free games of chess, backgammon, ping pong, my favorite lawn game Kube, and bochi ball), Flat Iron building, West Village (Colby Gerstner took me here after some amazing chinese dumplings at Venessa's dumplings
(Colby admiring the Record shop in West Village)
, we saw the "Cage" basketball court where street ball leagues are and we saw Amare Stoudamire from the New York Knicks checking out the scene)
(Street Ball magic in the Cage)
(Yo Amare! Spiritual Gangster)
, Little Italy (I actually went there for a Cuban restaurant...Justin Timberlake said it was his favorite restaurant in the city or something...got to have the grilled street corn), Korean street, Tom's restaurant from Seinfeld (seriously was on my bucket list before I die, I was in heaven!),
(Is it real...Can it be...I'm in heaven...and an order of the "Big Salad")
bar hopping and local rock bands, station island ferry (It's free and has great views, I enjoyed it a lot) and just the huge city!This weekend was fantastic. Friday I met up with Colby G. after my amazing dinner at Cafe Habana in Little Italy. The place was packed, I just sat at the bar and become friends with the tender, Davy. He was a wizard at making drinks and it was just a fun little atmosphere.
(Grilled Cubano and "Get that corn out of my face!")
Then Colby and I met up at a korean club where he and some friends were in like this VIP karaoke lounge haha it was awesome. From there we met up with my friends Barrett and new friends, Laura and Jasmine. We watched Colby's friend play in a bar with his rock band. East Village Tavern was a rocking that night to all the classics from Sublime, to Breakfast at Tiffany's.
Saturday was great, a run followed by a huge nap! (My new saturday tradition!) Then I met up with Laura and Barrett for a ride on the Statton island ferry. From there we went to the METS game. It was great to go to Queens and get out of the Manhattan Madness. The stadium is super nice and every seat had a good view it's a very tall stadium so I didn't feel to far away. Laura had the place scoped out for food so we got some famous Blue Smoke BBQ (only in Kentucky and this stadium) and Barrett and I shared a Pat LaFrieda's filet steak sandwich (good but super expensive). After my boy 50 cent came and did a concert. It was super cool because he was born in Queens so it was like a hometown show for him. We then got back to Times Square and walked around for awhile before calling it a night.
(50 Cent throwing down to his hometown Crowd!)
Sunday was the Lincoln Square ward with Madi, Barrett, Laura, Jasmine, and Colby. It was a huge ward compared to Harlem's. I think it's due to being under the temple and more central. After church Laura took us to Levian Bakery. The place smelt incredible. We were waiting to get in and slowly one by one as everyone entered the door, their face would just light up and they would say, "Do you smell that?!?" I was last and just smelt the trash of New York until I was overcome by a grandma cookie aroma. Their cookies were huge, crunch outside, and melty inside. I also got some delicious whole wheat walnut rolls. A great post church excursion.
(Get it while it lasts!)
Funny story of the week. Well it was gosh awful at the time but hilarious now. I was running on the east side of central park, I suddenly had this huge human urge to go to the bathroom. This is a huge problem in New York City because guess what there are no public restrooms especially in the early mornings when everything is closed. So after asking several people and getting NO help. I decided I would go into the park and find one. Cheeks squeezed and in immense pain I finally found one. Well after I thought I was running back home, but somehow I ended up on the south west side of the park instead of the NORTH west side. I was on the complete opposite end of the park (Long ways I might add). I was so confused and twitter pated I even asked a guy which way was 110th street. He pointed behind me and said, "About 3 miles"...ugh...and despair. So I turned an ran that back. So I got a beast of a run, had to use the restroom 3 times on this run. After I felt awful, and wanted to die. But I survived and now it's just funny to me. Any one who runs long distances will be able to relate to me. Haha moral of the story, "Plan runs where bathrooms are OPEN" and also "Don't run in central park it is a labyrinth!"
Life is good, Hopefully this week I won't have any more scary running routes or bathroom problems!
Enjoy the Journey
Jonny Boy









No comments:
Post a Comment