After that we met up with a man who runs an organization to help Palestinians who can't afford lawyers to fight against unfair Israeli laws. It was incredible to hear some of the things that these poor people go through. Things that stood out to me in our interview with him where:
- 80% percent of Palestinians in Jerusalem live below poverty level
- 300, 000 Palestinians live in Jerusalem the city
- Palestinians are evicted from their houses with an hour notice before it's bull dozed down
- Even if you are a Jerusalem citizen and you are palestinian, you only are allowed a permit to live in the city. In any moment they can take it away and then you have no citizenship anywhere!
After that we drove around the old city to Abu Emyid (no idea how to spell his name). He has 7 children that are alive. 2 twins were murdered during a police attack by gas. He lives right off the wailing wall on the outside of the old city. He was a hoot to listen too. His family has suffered a ton from 2 or so of his sons not allowed to see their wives except three days a month because they are from the West Bank. He has had a house demolished and has been fined for trying to just fix his house up. He smoked, laughed, told stories, drank tea, and above all else loves his homeland. I am amazed by the devotion the people I've met have for their homeland. In fact Aya was telling Bro Walz and I about how she doesn't want to lose her citizenship because it would mean her never coming back, never showing her children her life. This means she can't marry someone from outside Jerusalem, she has to work there and constantly check in with authorities. She seems to be stuck in this Jerusalem bubble. These people love their land and there seems to be no win or even a losing situation. What I mean by not even a losing situation is that if they lose they don't even have citizenship anywhere they end up becoming refugees with no chance to better their lives again...it is a very scary situation. I get nervous about my future from my career, where I'm going to live, study, even what I'm going to eat. They have to worry about having any sort of place to be accepted and even allowed.
(Abu, Aya's father, and Aya)
(A Jewish Settler's car, they drill cages onto it to protect themselves from rocks)
The Khatibs then took us out of Jerusalem into Bethlehem. We ate the most amazing traditional Arabic spread. About 20 dishes to share from to build your own dipping plate for pita bread. After that feast they then brought out a plater of Arabic BBQ. Lamb (3 ways), chicken, steak. It was amazing.
We walked the streets of Bethlehem to see the church that was built where they believe Christ was born. The city is gorgeous, just white stone and beautiful architecture.
(Inside the church)
(Sunset in Bethlehem)
(The dividing wall between Palestine and Israel)
An annoying man pestered Aya's mother and Bro. Walz to death inside the church asking for donations and to come learn from him. It was pretty funny. Coming home we had to go through the check point and they searched our car twice at two different spots. It is a little claustrophobic living like this.
My luggage is still lost in Los Angeles somewhere. I have no clothes and it could get smelly later this week.
Overall I'm just grateful for my freedoms, my family, and my religion. In one day I saw where Christ was born and also resurrected. I know through him all conflicts big and small, personal or worldwide can be fixed.
- Enjoy the journey (even without clothes)
Jonny Boy










Sorry your experience at the tomb was so crazy! There are times it is quieter and you can breath a bit. It is amazing to hear the stories. I know at the BYU Center the cooks are Palestinian. There was a couple of times when we were there that they were not allowed to come in to work for no real reason. Needless to say, we had sack dinners those days.
ReplyDelete