Monday, June 9, 2014

An Epic...Empire State of Mind

So to really add justification of what today was about here is a video that sums it up perfectly:

Jay-Z and my girl Alicia Keys, I could not say it any better than that!

I hit the gym with all these black guys this morning it was great! Haha some were huge beefcakes and there I was a little white boy just huffing and puffing next to them it was hilarious.

It was raining pretty solid in the morning but as I walked towards Madi's apartment it started to clear up, and it set the tone for one epic day.

Madi and I then just went crazy on the town and took it by storm! We first went to where we will be working at FOX. It's right downtown less than a block away from Radio Music Hall and all the broadway streets. We found a great little latino women who sells fruit right out our building. We both decided this is our new fruit lady! I got myself some nice plums and nectarines, and they were like candy, just a bit messy though walking around town.

(Gotham anyone?)
We decided with the cool overcast weather we would do the statue of liberty and Ellis island tour. The city was just breathtaking as the low clouds made the buildings just disappear into the mist above. It was straight up movie status, I kept expecting to see a super hero or something epic like Godzilla bound out of the ocean.

(Madi and I)
(That's my lady...Lady Liberty)
Ellis Island was just one giant hot box, as Madi says, "It has a cool vibe to it" but otherwise just hot.

After our escapes on the ferry we went to the 9/11 memorial and the World Trade Center. The area is beautiful and very calm compared to the rest of the city. The memorials were so fitting to what happened their and I just sat in aw for a second just trying to imagine what it would have been like to be there as the building came crashing down. Eerie for sure.

(Epic. #worldtradecenter)
(9/11 Memorial)
From there we went to Wall St. and checked out the "Fidi" (Financial District as locals call it). We stopped at the Holy Trinity Church and relaxed our aching feet, no joke they felt like they were going to fall off and that was just me, Madi had wedges on (Crazy girl I don't know how she did it...) We went and saw the world famous bull of wall street and got our pics on.

(Trinity church)
(Pigeons in the park...nope a cemetery)
Madi and I got in the middle of the little street section next to the bull and put on "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys (music video at beginning). We let the music melt over us as we danced on the street in the concrete jungle. It was a blast and probably the best part of my time here in New York so far. So note to everyone put on that song and dance in the streets, your going to have a good time...

(Horns and a little smelly)

The adventure was not over oh no, we then went to hollywood's favorite diner "Katz delicatessen" This deli was made famous from the film, "When Harry met Sally."


 I secretly love this movie (no longer a secret I guess) and I was so giddy to eat here. If you haven't seen the movie go watch it and prepare yourself for one of hollywoods best lines of, "I'll have what she's having..." Our waiter was this hilarious old man who when we asked what was the best thing there he said, "I'll do you one better." and walked away. Confused he came back with hot pastrami for us to try...I was sold. Oh and with every meal get ready for this...free pickles...get out of town!

(My Giddiness is on par with...I laughed, I cried...It was better than Katz (dun dun chee))
(Pastrami on rye)
We got lost once again in a giant subway station with like four levels before getting back to Harlem. We found a grocery store for Madi to get her basics which is less than mine, and we were both excited to find a box of granola cereal for $3.25 (Almost all the cereal costs over $5 dollars!) Just got home and I am exhausted! What a day... It truly was a blessed day to be alive, I don't know how many times both Madi and I just said, "How lucky are we?" or "Our live's are awesome!"

I'm getting better at the subway system (uptown to 125th on the D line is my safety net to get home). Tomorrow is my first day working at FOX. I'm excited and kind of just mystified they have not told us much other than be there at 8:45 a.m. So who knows I might go through some crazy initiation to the fox cult or have to ride a republican elephant around. Whatever it is, I'm super excited for work it should be fun.

- Enjoy the Journey

Jonny Boy










1 comment:

  1. Bet you were in heaven with free pickles! ;) Did you get a side of marshmallow's to go with it?

    ReplyDelete